Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Mailbox

Our mailbox is brick with the mailbox built in and underneath the box is an open space for the newspaper. A while back I noticed a birds nest in the back of the hole of the newspaper part of the mailbox.

I began to watch the nest, not seeing anything inside but not moving it in case there was. Sometimes I am bad about not getting the paper everyday (I really just like the Sunday paper but Zach likes the sports everyday) and then I became worried that if I didn't clean out those papers everyday the mama bird might not be able to get to her nest. Last week I noticed a very small light blue speckled egg that was cracked open laying at the edge of the mailbox. I thought omg there are babies in there or something has happened to them. A couple of days ago Zach got the paper for me and I asked him if he saw anything inside, he looked and said I see baby birds. I was so excited, I got out of the car and walked over and these two itty bitty baby birds were in that nest with their little heads rared back and their mouths wide open. They didn't make any sounds but those little mouths were open. I guess they thought we were mama coming in with some groceries. I have finally seen mama bird fly out of the mailbox.

Watching this event take place has just been a sweet moment in the midst of a lot of crazy moments. I thought, how smart of that mama bird to put her nest in that spot. It is high enough off the ground that an animal walking around couldn't reach it and so well hidden. No one would know it was there. She planned well for her babies.

The Lord says, "as much as I take care of the little things, how much more will I take care of you and love you". I needed that reminder that no matter what...God is going to take care of me. He never said it would be easy to follow Him, he never said everything would be perfect. In fact, the opposite is true, He says we will have trials and tribulations but He will never leave me nor forsake me. So, like the baby birds depending on mama bird to take care of them and to keep coming back to them, I'm depending on my Father to take care of me and feed me and protect me. He knows everything that is going on in my life and He promises He won't give us anything we cannot handle.

I'm trusting!

No comments: